top of page

A first half Sean Longstaff stunner cancelled out by a Sarr second half header at Vicarage Road

Watford 1-1 Newcastle United

A beauty from Sean Longstaff, beating the despairing Ben Foster from outside the box, would separate the sides at half time. But that goal doesn't tell anything of a first half that could have seen United out of sight. ASM the chief culprit, spurning one glorious chance with only the goalkeeper to beat after intercepting a sloppy back-pass.

Newcastle had travelled to Vicarage Road looking for their first win of the season against a mid table Watford side who'd managed two wins already this season. But when you waste the kind of chances United had, there was always a chance for the home side to spoil the party.

And that's exactly what happened with Sarr heading in from a Watford corner midway through the second half.

There was still time for Watford to see a goal disallowed for offside and for substitute Jacob Murphy to race clean through only to fluff his lines with only the keeper to beat in the final minute of injury time.


Match Report

A 100 miles an hour contest from the first whistle would see Watford start the better with Darlow called into a couple of good saves to deny the hosts the perfect start.

A string of corners would give Newcastle hope with Foster in the Watford goal equal to the best of the efforts, a looping header from Clark.

Some tasty challenges would also set the tone for the game. Manquillo and Ritchie both carded early for those in black and white (well blue), the latter being tested time and time again from the talented Sarr.

But on 25 minutes the game had it's opening goal. A wonderstrike from Sean Longstaff. Picking up the ball from a cleared corner his right footed curling strike would fly into the Watford net. And whilst some will question Foster who managed to get both hands to the ball, the vorosity of the strike was such that the England stopper just couldn't keep the ball from finding the back of his goal. No more than Newcastle deserved after a fast paced start to the game from both sides.

A free kick millimetres outside the edge of the 18 yard box, one that had to be checked by VAR it was so close with Willock having been felled, would then result in Clark heading over from a couple of yards out when brilliantly placed from a Ritchie free kick.

Willock would then had a change himself to double the visitors lead only to smash the ball into the side netting.

But whilst that was a half chance, Newcastle and Allan Saint-Maximin should have put the game out of sight. A bad back pass being intercepted by the Frenchman with only the keeper to beat, but his trickery in trying to get around the keeper would allow defenders to get back and his cut back to Sean Longstaff then unbelievably smashed over the bar. WHAT A CHANCE!

In injury time at the end of the first half ASM was the creator again as his neat work resulted in one strike that was blocked and a cross that couldn't find anyone in a blue shirt.

1-0 to Newcastle United at half time in a game that really Newcastle should have had wrapped up by the interval.

Into the second half and Watford would make one change with Tufan replacing Cleverly, as the home side attempted to turn the game.

United almost, for the second time, forced Watford to concede a penalty, this time ex-mag Danny Rose tripping Almiron after his lovely piece of skill tied Rose in knots leaving the Watford defender no option but to fell his man and be booked in the process.

A double chance just after the hour mark, created by Almiron who broke clear with pace, would see the same player warm the hands of Foster before Joelinton would see his follow up also saved by the Watford stopper.

Next Willock would have a great chance, played in Almiron, to extend their lead. But again Foster would be equal to it, rushing off his line to cut smother the Newcastle midfielders attempt.

United were so on top by midway through the second period that the only worry was their lack of ability to finish the game off. It certainly felt like there was another goal in it.

And on 72 minutes wouldn't you know it. Willock losing Sarr at a Watford corner would allow his man to drift in at the back post to head home an equaliser that barely deserved.

Some lovely build up from Newcastle who certainly hadn't let their heads drop after conceding, would eventually see Ritchie swing a sumptuous cross into the area only for Clark to head over again when well placed.

With just 3 minutes left Watford thought they'd nicked it. Josh King tapping home a rebound from a Sissoko hit that had been well saved by Darlow. The linesman's flag had stayed down, but a VAR check would confirm three players were all stood offside with the players and fans still celebrating.

In the 93rd minutes Newcastle should have won it. Saint-Maximin doing the right thing this time in setting Jacob Murphy away and clean through only for the Newcastle substitute to totally fluff his lines and instead of dinking the ball over the keeper would only dink it into Foster's hands.

A huge chance missed. 1-1 the final score





bottom of page