top of page

Over and Out (If only that meant Bruce and not Newcastle's Cup hopes)

Brentford 1-0 Newcastle United

A Josh Dasilva left foot volley on 66 minutes sent a defiant Steve Bruce's NewcastleUnited crashing out of the League Cup at the Quarter Final stage.

With one of the most favourable draws in League Cup history to get to this point in the competition, this horror show will live long in the memory of those unfortunate enough to witness it.

Disorganised, desperate, clueless garbage.

Outplayed from start to finish, if there was anything more to suggest that Steve Bruce is no longer capable (if he ever had been) of leading this club.

Honours had been even at the break with both sides having good chances to break the deadlock in the opening period. A glancing header from Pinnock went over the bar, whilst Canos only managed to head wide when totally unmarked for Brentford. For the Magpies Wilson would come close on a couple of occasions and Fraser would see his excellent shot brilliantly saved by Daniels.

What this doesn't show is that Brentford had essentially conceded the game before kick off. Resting 5 of their best players whilst Newcastle played their first team.

But in the second half it got worse. And by the time Dasilva had got his well taken goal is was absolute desperation stage from Bruce, throwing on Carroll and Gayle in no particular shape.



Steve Bruce put out arguably his strongest side for this one, with Wilson, Almiron Shelvey and Fraser all in the Starting XI (see Match FACTFILE at foot of this page for the full line-up and in match stats)

For Brentford, Thomas Frank made a raft of changes with the much anticipated reappearance of Ivan Toney having to wait with him dropping to the bench together with their first choice keeper and 3 others.

The change of personnel for Brentford wouldn't dampen their spirits or desire to play open, expansive and attacking football however. And whilst Newcastle would see their fair share of the ball in the early stages the first real chance would fall to the home side. A corner whipped to the near post would be glanced over the bar by Pinnock to offer an early warning for the Magpies.

Newcastle United's first chance would be a good one. Wilson challenging Sorenson just outside the area, and with the Brentford player losing the flight of the ball after getting something on it, Wilson would nip in to fire straight at the keeper. A good save from a really tight angle.

And it would be Wilson again who could have put the visitors ahead on 21 minutes when a beautiful Fraser cross was nicked off the toe of the Newcastle striker by Sorensen with the goal gaping.

Up the other end and a loose weak piece of play from Lewis allowed Brentford to wrestle the ball back. The resultant cross falling to Ghoddos who's shot into the ground bounced up off the turf before bouncing up off Darlow's crossbar with the game just starting to open up at both ends of the field.

If that was a scare, moments later there were even more alarm bells. This time a good corner to the back post was headed back across goal to the unmarked Canos who inexplicably headed wide from 4 yards out. Newcastle riding their substantive helping of luck under Steve Bruce.

Brentford's second string certainly starting to gain confidence as the half ticked on.

Perhaps some hope for Newcastle that the rain, no more than a trickle at kick off, was now something more akin to a downpour. Not suited to Brentford's style but a wet pitch no problem for a bit of hoof ball.

And it was just such a hoof, this time to Fraser, allowed the winger to chest the ball inside his man on the edge of the 18 yard box before unleashing a thunderous effort that would get the very best out of Daniels in the Brentford goal. Shot and save of equal beauty.

Just before the break Calum Wilson would get Newcastle's best opportunity of the game. An interchange of passes allowing him to race into the box, but on a sticky pitch he couldn't get the ball out of his feet and Daniels did well to force United's number 13 too wide to get any shot at goal.

0-0 at half time.

Second half analysis to follow...





bottom of page