top of page

The Allan Saint-Maximin show!

Burnley 1-2 Newcastle United

A wonder show from Allan Saint-Maximin, coming on as a substitute just before the hour mark, would change the completion of a game that was running away from Newcastle United.

Just moments after coming on his jinking run into the right of the Burnley box would see the home sides defence unsure of what to do allowing a pull back to be brilliantly finished by Jacob Murphy.

And on 64 minutes it would get even better. Picking up the ball on the half way line the Frenchman would run unchecked to the edge of the Burnley box before cutting onto this left and unleashing his own wonderful finish. Breathtaking!

Burnley had taken the lead inside 20 minutes when Chris Wood was allowed to work his way into the box and cut back to an unmarked Vydra who would do the rest from 8 yards out.

But in ASM Newcastle have a game changer. And change the game he did!


Steve Bruce would leave ASM and Wilson on the bench with both players only deemed fit enough for a place in the squad rather than the starting line up for this crunch clash.

Perhaps some reward for the hardworking Joelinton who scored and had one of his best games in black and white last time out and perhaps sensible with games coming thick and fast as the season hurtles to a close.

Captain Jamaal Lascelles looks set to miss the rest of the season after picking up a stress fracture in his foot with Federico Fernandez coming in. Ciaran Clark for Krafth the only other change for the Magpies.

For Burnley the big news would be that Nick Pope, the England keeper and mainstay of the Burnley side was missing with injury too. A real chance for United to test the inexperienced Peacock-Farrell who had only played once for the first team in his time, a 5-0 loss against Manchester City.

Some decent early pressure from Newcastle would see a number of early crosses played into the Burnley penally area but Sean Dyche's team were equal to everything thrown at them in the air, as you'd expect.

Both teams were relying on long balls it would seem with United unable to test the keeper in the early stages.

The opening goal would come on 19 minutes. A long ball forward from Peacock-Farrell would see Wood eventually play himself down to the byline, evading any sort of meaningful challenge when surrounded by Newcastle's yellow shirts. And his cut back, straight into the path of the unmarked Vydra, would allow the Burnley front man to do the rest.

On 32 minutes Newcastle would have the ball in the net. Joelinton falling back would hit a half hearted effort at goal and into the path of Dwight Gayle to stab home. After initially looking well offside replays showed that he was off by only the width of his heel.

To the other end and a deflected cross would be lashed up and over the bar by McNeil when well placed.

And then a moment of real controvourcy, a cross into the box would be cleared by Ben Mee who, in the process of clearing the ball would kick Sean Longstaff in the head. Quite how, in anyones logic, the fact that Mee's foot connected a millisecond before kicking a player in the face means 'no foul' is quite frankly ludicrous.

Just 7 minutes before half time and Burnley could have been two goals to the good. This time only a wonderful Dubravka save stopping Dummett from putting through his own goal.

In the dying moments of the first half Newcastle should have been level. A deep cross from Murphy would go all the way through to Fernandez but the big centre half could only thigh the ball into the arms of the Burnley keeper.

1-0 down at half time.

A succession of corners at the start of the second half would keep Dubravka busy again. Newcastle offering nothing going forward.

Burnley were looking good for their lead as the game moved towards the hour mark and Bruce needed to do something.

That something was the double introduction of ASM and Wilson.

And the Frenchman proved to be a game changer.

Within 60 seconds of coming on his run into the right of the box near the byeline would cause all manner of discontent in the Burnley back line, not sure if they could dive in or press. So after taking two or three players with him he pulled the ball back to Jacob Murphy who's lovely finished went through a crowded box and into the far side netting. A lovely goal.

But is that goal was lovely, the next was magnificent. Picking up a ball between the lines from Shelvey, ASM turned and ran at pace at the Burnley back line again. This time, with player backing off him once more, he beautifully cut back onto his left foot just inside the box and fired into the keepers left hand bottom corner. Mesmeric.

Burnley would now go 'full Burnley' launching ball after ball into the Newcastle box. On the odd occasion that the United back line didn't deal with what they would throw at them the finishing was not of the same standard at that of our Frenchmen. Vydra missing the best chance in firing into the wrong side of the side netting.

As the clocked ticked to 90 minutes the Magpies could have sealed it. Saint-Maximin again the chief protagonist, racing into the Burnley box and cutting back. And although the cross would be too far away from the outstretched leg of Wilson, Almiron would fire at goal only for Tarkowski to clear off the line with the keeper beaten.

A huge 3 points leaves Newcastle 6 points ahead of Fulham with a game in hand. A tough run of fixtures but something to build on!





bottom of page