Newcastle United 2-4 West Ham United

West Ham would twice come from behind before scoring a rebounded penalty and then hitting Newcastle on the break to to break Newcastle's opening day hearts in the second half.

It had been the perfect start from Newcastle as the majestic Allan Saint-Maximin would turn his marker inside out on the edge of the West Ham box before crossing an inch perfect cross on to the head of Callum Wilson who, quite frankly, doesn't miss those.

West Ham though, would be back on level terms before the 20 minute mark. Replays showing that an offside flag shown against Bowen would be overruled as his touch on a Cresswell cross would be after the ball had already crossed the line.

But just before half time United would restore their lead. Some loverly possession football from the Magpies eventually ending with a Matt Ritchie cross nodded back across goal and into the back of Fabianski's net by the ecstatic Jacob Murphy.

2-1 at the break...

Inside 10 minutes of the second half and Newcastle had been pegged back for a second time however. A very similar goal to that scored by Murphy but this time at the wrong end of the pitch. Antonio this time the provider from the byline leaving Benrahma to nod home and make it 2-2.

And things would get immediately worse for Newcastle as Murphy was somewhat harshly judged to have felled a West Ham player in his own box. And whilst Woodman would save Antonio's penalty his teammates would not come to his aid with the follow up and Soucek would race in to fire home the rebound.

And moments later it would be much much worse. Newcastle being ripped apart as they went in search of their own equaliser with Antonio himself this time making no mistake to slam home his first and West Ham's fourth.


Match Report

Newcastle United's season opener is a winnable, on paper at least, tie against the Hammers in front of what should be an electric atmosphere at St James Park.

There would be no place in the team today for Joe Willock as Newcastle missed the deadline to sign him in time for this one by just an hour or so on Friday. Willock would however be paraded in front of a vociferous home crowd before kick off.

There would be a start for all the big names at the top end of the pitch with Wilson, newly sporting the number nine shirt, leading the line with Miggy Almiron and ASM in support. At the other end of the pitch there would be somewhat of a shock with Krafth getting the nod ahead of Lascelles and Schar who both would only make the bench. Freddie Woodman would start between the sticks as expected with Darlow and Dubs both out with illness and injury respectively.

An early corner for West Ham would almost lead to an immediate advantage for West Ham, only an Almiron header off the line and around Woodman's right hand post would save the Magpies blushes.

Not to worry, as the home crowd would be in dreamland moments later when, after great work from Shelvey to close Cresswell down in his left back position, would allow Saint-Maximin to twist and turn his way into the box before delivering a delicious cross in to 'the corridor of uncertainty'. Callum Wilson, as ever, would be the sharpest in the box allowing him to steal a yard and head home from just 5 yards out. What a start.

The next big change of the game would prove to be telling too. This time an offside flag, seemingly ruling out a goal line tap in from Bowen, would be overruled. Replays showing Cresswell's cross had gone over the line before Bowen had touched the ball meaning the strike would stand and West Ham would be level.

Next Wilson would almost score a stunning goal. Having raced into the box he would find himself well marked and would try an audacious back heal that was hit with such pace it would surely have gone in but for the fact it was straight down the throat of Fabianski.

More great work from ASM would then lead to a super drive from Almiron, who's deflected effort would loop over the stranded West Ham keeper and onto the top of the Hammers crossbar.

By now though the visitors would settling well into the contest and certainly having more of the ball in the opening half an hour, the Magpies seemingly happy to hit on the break, but looking sharp when doing so.

A wonderful spell of possession football just before the break would see the Magpies move the visitors left and right, fighting for every scrap as the Hammers tried to clear their lines, before Ritchie was played in b Almiron and his cross was headed beyond the flat footed Fabianski by Jacob Murphy.

2-1 up at the break.

West Ham would immediately equalise in the second half. A deflected pass forward falling somewhat fortuitously to Antonio who's deep cross would be nodded home by Benrahma to get his side level again.

Back would come Newcastle. First an Allan Saint-Maximin run and cross leaving the visitors defence in panic stations and gladly seeing the ball fall to a claret and blue shirt to allow then to clear. Next Wilson almost getting on the end of a Ritchie cross to stab home and the game continued at a frantic pace.

But when Murphy was wrongly adjudged to have fouled Fornels in the Newcastle area the game was about to flip on its head. Whilst Antonio would see his poor spot kick saved by Woodman, Soucek would race into the box ahead of anyone in the black and white shirt to slam home and put his team ahead for the first time.

Antonio wouldn't have to wait long to get his name on the scoresheet however, racing clear as Newcastle irresponsibly charged forward, before unleashing an unstoppable strike past the Newcastle keeper.

2-1 up to 4-2 down in 12 minutes and just 178 seconds between 2-3 and 2-4 . Shocking.

There would be a couple of late scares for West Ham, most notably a Ritchie effort from the edge of the box that was deflected wide after a half cleared Newcastle corner. But in truth, the visitors had little to worry about in the latter stages as the Magpies failed to build a head of steam that might have threatened the Hammers second half dominance.

4-2 the final score and no real complaints.